Oxidative Therapies like: Ozone, Exercise with Oxygen therapy (EWOT), Ultraviolet blood irradiation (UVBI) with ozone, hydrogen peroxide, High dose IV Vitamin C, Autohemotherapy, and even deep breathing all use higher than typical concentrations of oxygen to promote tissue cleansing and repair, balance the immune system, and detoxify the body. Oxidative therapy should only be used by professionals who have been fully trained in its use. The Kotsanis Institute uses training by Dr. Shallenberger.
Oxygen is used in multiple necessary processes like converting sugar to energy (ATP) in the body and as a first line defense against bacteria, virus, yeast, and parasites. Without oxygen and its oxidative ways, life as we know it would not exist.
The use of ozone to treat various medical conditions was first developed in Germany in the early 1950’s. Today, medical ozone therapy is common throughout Europe and has gradually been spreading in America over the last 25 years. Ozone can be injected directly, used in a steam sauna, mixed with blood and injected (autohemotherapy), given using rectal insulation, used inside bagged areas of the body, or used in conjuction with chelation (chezone). We find that oxygen introduced to the body in different ways can potentiate health in different ways. For example, autohemotherapy excels at enhancing immune cell function at the membrane level while altitude training can promotes post workout recovery by dealing with excess lactic acid. Connecting the proper oxidative therapy to desired health goals can go a long way in helping patients reach their goals.
What Types of Oxidative Therapies are offered at The Kotsanis Institute:
- Ozone Autohemotherapy – Mixing patient’s blood with Ozone and returning the blood via IV
- UltraViolet Blood Irradiation Therapy with Ozone (Chezone) – Exercise with Oxygen therapy (also called altitude training)
- Direct injection
- Pulsed hydrogen peroxide IV – usually ordered in a series over more than one day
- No vitamins the day of
- No eating for 20 minutes
- High dose vitamin C – oxidative only as a high dose IV requires one test to determine abnormal Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency
How does oxidation therapy work?
The oxygen you breathe is present in the air as a pair of oxygen atoms. Unlike atmospheric oxygen, which is composed of 2 bound oxygen atoms, ozone (composed of three oxygen atoms) and hydrogen peroxide (H202 – essentially water with an additional weakly bound oxygen), both have a readily reactive singlet oxygen. It is the reactivity of the oxygen atom that gives ozone and H2O2 its remarkable medical properties. High dose vitamin C works by increasing the amount of H2O2 in the body as well as behaving like a pro-oxidant.
The 5 ways ozone works
- Immunomodulation – When the immune system is overactive (auto-immune diseases like lupus), ozone will calm it down. When the immune system is under active Chronic disease like cancer), ozone will stimulate it. It does this working at the membrane level of white blood cells, your immune cells, by stimulating production of immune messenger molecules call cytokines. This unique ability of ozone stems from its action on the membranes of white cells, causing them to produce cytokines.
- Stimulation of DPG – Diphosphoglycerate (DPG), is an enzyme that enables the release of oxygen from the hemoglobin making it available for cellular use. Inadequate amounts of DPG will create a lack of usable oxygen.
- Improve circulation – Ozone improves the ability of the blood to flow properly. More blood flow equates to more available oxygen to tissues previously affected by impaired circulation.
- Antioxidant protection. Ozone’s reactivity provides a defense against harmful antioxidants.
- Mitochondrial Stimulation – Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell and chronic disease is often associated with decreased mitochondrial function. Ozone stimulates mitochondria and can correct this disfunction.
5 Ways IV HYDROGEN PEROXIDE (H2O2) Works
Hydrogen peroxide is a naturally occurring molecule, even produced by our own white blood cell as perioxizome to assist in phagocytosis. Introduced as a therapy, it has similar properties to ozone in that H2O2 has an extra weakly bound oxygen. Unlike ozone though, this oxygen molecule can bind semi-permanently to cytochrome-c, allowing for complete circulation throughout the body where the singlet oxygen is released and clinically used. H2O2 has the ability to reach areas of the body not easily accessible by more highly reactive ozone. It does these things when used properly:
- H2O2 oxidizes with a provided singlet oxygen, oxidizing biological waste products and industrial toxins, rendering them more easily eliminated by the body
- Doubles enzymatic metabolism rate mitochondria enabling the body to cleanse itself of toxins, providing energy needed to attain and maintain health
- Kill or inhibits growth of bacteria, viruses, and funguses. Disease tissue often harbors unhealthy levels of anaerobes. An increase in mitochondrial metabolism also accounts for part of this property
- Dissolve cholesterol and calcium deposits associated with atherosclerosis, known in a 1960 Bailor study as chelox. This result, which is similar to chelation, makes it a good treatment for vascular disorders. Some find benefits to Stoke patients if used soon enough.
- Produces oxygen bubbles in the alveoli (tiny air sacs in the lungs), lifting the mucus deposits up, making removal by coughing easier.
- Clears the skin, giving a more youthful translucent clarity usually
How High does vitamin C work:
Increases H2O2 – see above
Pro-oxidant effects – in high enough concentrations, vitamin C oxidization is similar to that of a reactive singlet oxygen
Is Oxidation Therapy For Me?
Because oxidative therapies work in so many different ways, the conditions oxidative therapies are used for is exhaustive. Cancer, AIDS, Diabetes, Stroke, Depression, Chronic Fatigue, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, cardiovascular disease, Lyme disease, chronic hepatitis, viral infections, chemical sensitivity, macular degeneration, chronic bladder conditions, colitis, auto-immune diseases, Crohn’s disease, asthma, MS, arthritis, spinal disorders, high blood disorders including high blood pressure