The Symphony Of Health
Although the 20th century will be known as the century of great technological advancement, it will also be known as the century of “civilization disease.” The onset of this disease, arriving with the advent of the industrial revolution, coincides with an end to many deadly diseases, an improvement in quality of life and an extended life expectancy to almost triple the norm. All this in less than 150 years! Unfortunately, this progress came about at such a rapid pace that medical science has not yet found solutions to some of the diseases brought about by undesirable environmental changes. As humans and masters of our planet we have the obligation to make sure that changes to the ecological system benefit us without disturbing the ecological masterpiece of Mother Nature and the Great Master. It’s time for humans to start respecting and protecting all forms of life, i.e., plants, animals and natural resources of this planet! To reverse the “civilization disease” that we have created, we must take well thought-out steps.
We are what we think, say, do, eat, drink and breathe. The ultimate biosphere is the human body. Ideally, all its systems (especially the work horses of health, i.e., hormones in the endocrine system, antibodies and cytokines of the immune or defense system and enzymes in the metabolic/digestive system) are in dynamic balance with each other. All of us want to stay young and vibrant which is a wonderful goal! One hundred per cent of us can benefit from an organized approach to health. However, wishing will not make it happen. To make any program more efficient, we must make changes to improve nutrition, lifestyle and the immediate environment within a reasonable length of time. Our program has a proven track record and has been improved and refined over the last 25 years. It takes a minimum of three months before one can see substantial health gains. However, voluntary and persistent participation is a must for vibrant health to become a reality; anything less will not accomplish your desired goals.
The Primary Components of Our Symphony of Health
The cornerstone of any health program is adequate and proper nutrition. Supplementation is a must for persons seeking optimal health. Chronically ill patients need radical changes in their diet. Today’s processed devitalized foods – which come in a box, a can, a drive-thru or have been micro-waved – are producing an acidic environment in the body creating, contributing to and perpetuating inflammatory processes. By following a few specific guidelines and rules, this process can be reversed, which will then detox and rebuild organs and tissues. Changes in food and water intake must be made before any other changes. Your foods and water must be clean and free of all chemicals (pesticides, preservatives, hormones and antibiotics) and plastics. The minimal clean water consumption must be 1/3 of one’s body weight in fluid ounces per day (e.g. if you weigh 150 pounds drink 50 oz. of water) with the remainder coming from foods. Food selection based on meat, fish, poultry, fruits and vegetables only is the most beneficial for optimizing the efficiency of the endocrine and immune systems. However, regardless of the foods consumed, one must always monitor caloric intake. Too much food at one time places a strain on the immune, detoxification, and cardiovascular systems. The one exception is sarcopenia, a condition of muscle-wasting seen in cancer and anorexia. To avoid sarcopenia, we encourage cancer patients to eat all the nutrient dense foods that they can, up to six meals per day without calorie restrictions.
Most people seeking advice in our office have allergies and intolerance to most commercial foods. For the allergic patient, foods such as dairy products and most grains are suppressive to the immune and endocrine systems and must be avoided. In allergic individuals, dairy products disturb hormonal activity by a variety of mechanisms such as allergies, gut yeast overgrowth, blood acidification, and liver overload. Processed grains such as bread, cereals, pasta and baked goods interfere with optimal endocrine and immune function. (Sprouted grains are acceptable.) These grain flours cause problems with gluten/gliadin allergies, yeast overgrowth, and inhibition of digestive enzymes. High-glycemic index carbohydrates such as sugars, pastas, candies, chocolate, cake, cookies, breads, crackers, soft drinks, alcohol and added sugar in ham, sausage, and deli meats tend to diminish the benefits of hormone treatment by promoting yeast overgrowth and reducing the secretion of cortisol, growth hormone, testosterone, DHEA, androstenedione and estradiol.
Eating the same foods day after day creates undesirable immune responses for many people. Often, this repetitive food selection leads to food intolerance, obesity, sugar malabsorption and insulin resistance. To eliminate/reduce these unhealthy responses, a four-day rotation of foods is implemented to control antibody production (immune system response) to antigens, i.e. proteins from foods. This control assures a decrease in gastrointestinal inflammation and an increase in healing. Fresh, organic foods are the best choice ALWAYS. A raw, organic, vegan diet is considered the ultimate diet by some experts.
The pH cycle:
Because our organs create and eliminate in a circadian rhythm, they are sensitive to the pH residue of ingested foods. Eating time of specific foods becomes very significant in the diseased and obese individuals. The following guideline should be observed by all individuals seeking vibrant health: the acid cycle is from 3AM until 3PM; the alkaline cycle is from 3PM until 3 AM. To be compliant, one should eat “acid-residue foods” from breakfast until 3PM and eat “alkaline-residue foods” from 3PM until bedtime. An easy way to delineate “acid” from “alkaline” is: any animal or animal by-product produces acid (If it walks, flies, or swims it’s ACIDIC.) If it’s pure plant-based, it produces alkali (If it grows in the ground, it”s ALKALIZING.) Please note that some pure vegetables and their by products are moderately acidic. One of the easiest ways to aid one’s health is to consume ionized water with an alkaline pH and a negative ORP (oxidation-reduction potential).
What most Americans eat is disastrous. Our eating habits keep us on the “acid cycle” 24 hours a day. A continuous acidic pH promotes inflammation, chronic infections, hormonal imbalance, and degenerative diseases. Obesity, premature aging, insomnia, depression, chronic pain, chronic fatigue, cellulite, hair loss and skin wrinkles are some of the most common expressions of the constant “acid cycle”.
Supplements and water:
American foods have inadequate vitamin/mineral content, especially processed and/or microwave foods. It is necessary to be on a pharmaceutical grade vitamin/mineral supplement regimen. Supplementation should also include essential fatty acids and digestive enzymes. Also, special digestive enzymes can be taken between meals to remove inappropriate proteins in the blood and increase the fluidity of the blood. Dehydration, which is crucial in health and contributes to disease, is very prevalent in our society. Processed foods are depleted of water, requiring one to consume at least 33% of his/her body weight in fluid ounces per day of filtered or spring water. NOTE: once you are thirsty, you are already in the state of dehydration.
Food consumption and elimination:
There is a best way and a not so good way to consume food. Because food requires proper stomach pH for digestion, fluids such as water, soft drinks and alcohol are not to be consumed at meal time. One should drink all the water and fluids (not alcohol; ionized water with an alkaline pH and a negative ORP is best) he/she desires 30 minutes before meals and two hours after meals. (6 ounces of red wine with major meals is acceptable because of its ability to aid digestion.) Any fluids with your meals dilute digestive enzymes’ activity which affects digestion and assimilation of the consumed food. The immune system will also be helped with this practice. Food intolerance, undesirable bacterial and fungal overgrowth, and GI disturbances will be minimized or eliminated. Elimination is also critical. One should have at least one bowel movement per day that is the consistency of a ripe banana. Constipation leads to many chronic and undesirable health problems because of reabsorbed toxins and hormones. Dehydration and low fiber intake are to be considered first as causes of constipation.
For years, research has shown that calorie restriction is a key factor in health and longevity. Minerals are the spark plugs of metabolism; without minerals all biochemical reactions will come to a standstill. Because minerals are the most important component to alert the brain it has had enough to eat, the brain will signal for more food until mineral requirements are met.
The mineral content in foods is what makes food tasty and “sweet.” The brain is confused when commercially prepared food products contain added sugar. Food of this type usually has a lot of empty calories and is devoid of minerals. The brain will continue to signal hunger for mineral-containing foods in an attempt to meet its need for minerals. The typical American diet can not meet daily mineral requirements and, therefore, we pack in the extra calories. This is disastrous to the body on many levels and is a primary cause of obesity. Obesity leads to diabetes, heart disease, chronic inflammation, chronic pain, etc. Thus, we must always strive to harmonize our food intake to maximize minerals and minimize calories.
FITNESS – OXYGEN – ENERGY
To be vibrant, one must have Energy! Energy is produced by the tiny little factories in our cells called mitochondria. The more mitochondria the cell has the more energy it can produce. The best way to stimulate an increase in mitochondria is by a very specific exercise called “the slow burn fitness revolution.” This form of exercise requires time-sensitive instruction, only 30 minutes a week. (Our office can provide these instructions.) Another critical component for energy production is oxygen! There is a specific exercise known as EWOT – exercise with oxygen therapy. This is a wonderfully easy, home-based exercise that will change your life! Within six weeks you will feel much improved. Once you combine “the slow burn fitness revolution” with “EWOT” you will gain years in your life, youthfulness to your body, extra productivity in your work, and happiness in your soul! You will become fit and have energy!
Our body is a complex machine. The “pistons of the engine” are the hormones. For the body to function optimally, a dynamic balance or harmony with all hormones must exist. This symphony will become discordant if one hormone is over reactive (too abundant) or under reactive (too low). The targeted organ will not perform properly and will interfere with the correct interaction of other hormones. A never-ending cycle of imbalances will follow. Thus, it is necessary to balance or harmonize all hormones to realize the goal of vibrant health. The thyroid gland and the adrenal glands deserve special mention, however. One should consider correcting cortisol excess and deficiency as well as thyroid excess and deficiency prior to attempting any other hormonal treatment. Once the adrenals and thyroid are humming, it makes all other hormonal replacement considerably more effective. Most of the time, correcting the thyroid and adrenals corrects most hormonal imbalances without further intervention.
Since the industrial revolution, we have lived in a toxic world. The 20th century will be known as the century of the “civilization disease” due to the body burden from these man-made toxins. Toxins prevent optimal function of all enzyme systems, hormones, and anti-oxidant systems. Now, it is necessary to maintain a life long detoxification program to avoid or prevent dreaded diseases such as cancer, diabetes, stroke, heart disease, osteoporosis, etc. Our office has more than 25 years of experience in addressing this complex problem.
CHRONIC INFECTION CONTROL
For chronic resistant infections we provide a variety of Oxidative Medicine programs and special IV treatments, to meet the demands of resistant infection.
Nature’s Rules Are Simple
The following is adapted from Harmonized Food Solution by Benjamin Gaylord Houser, 1930. * Revised by Deborah Roszek, BS, CCN, 2007.
Breakfast: Eat within an hour of rising. Cortisol levels will stay lower throughout the day, i.e.,
- Lowers hypoglycemia
- Lowers insulin resistance
- Lowers carb-cravings
- Lowers sarcopenia (wasting)
Eat 70-75% of total calories within the first 8 hours of your day.
- Eat like a king for breakfast
- Like aqueen for lunch
- Like a pauper at dinner, i.e. 40%, 35%, 25% total calories/meal.
Eat only what nature has made.
The following foods have been grouped according to their activities within the body. These are considered the best sources for each group. Remember: Keep it simple!!!
GROUP I – Best Foundation Foods (Protein – plant & animal)
- NUTS*: raw almonds, pecans, walnuts
*buy from nut company, not grocery store (increased turnover, decreased rancidity)
*can be sprouted to increase protein
- LEGUMES: adzuki, lentil, black soy, black bean, kidney, dried pea, navy bean (sprouted are best)
Note: adzuki, lentil & sprouted black soy are highest in protein
Note: soy: eat only fermented soy products (tofu, tempeh, miso)
- EGGS: Only free-range, nested. These are low in cholesterol and high in Vitamin A and lecithin
- FISH: Eat only fresh, grown in the wild , un-breaded. (Now, most frozen fish is from China.) Stay away: tuna, swordfish, Atlantic or farm raised salmon
- AVOCADO: It’s a complete protein. California grown have more protein than Florida grown
- MUSHROOMS: All types including dry
- BEEF & LAMB: Grass fed, without antibiotics or hormones.
Note: AVOID meats from grain-fed animals; these have a different amino acid mixture.
- DAIRY: Only organic plain yogurt. Lactose (milk-sugar has been digested by Probiotics; however, casein-sensitive individuals are advised to avoid all milk products.) Organic butter or organic ghee butter is also acceptable.
GROUP I – General Rules
- Eat GROUP I at least once a day.
- Cancer patients or patients with Sarcopenia: eat from this group up to six times a day.
- Must always eat group I with foods from group IIa to balance out acidity.
Too much protein causes constipation, acidity, and putrification of the GI Tract, thus it is important to balance with Group IIa
GROUP IIa – The Best Energizers & Rebuilders (fruits & vegetables – eat only complex carbohydrates)
PURPLE IS THE NEW GREEN - Dark fruits and vegetables have antifungal properties, especially if they are tart. Purple, tart or bitter is the best natural antifungal.
- FRUITS: Eat only fresh or frozen. No bottled or canned fruit. Eat organic whenever possible
- citrus: lemons, limes, grapefruit, orange
- berries: raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry
- others: apples, pears, pineapple & mango, peaches, apricots, plums, cherries, nectarines
- melons: cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, tomatoes
- Eat melons alone because they increase sugar release and water
- For quick detox go on a watermelon fast for 12 hours. (More than 12 hours will make you sick.)
- Those with ragweed allergy avoid melons and bananas.
- VEGETABLES: Eat unlimited amounts
- roots: carrots, beets
- stems: celery, asparagus, onions
- flower/fruit: bell pepper, cucumber, (unpeeled & organic) *cauliflower, broccoli, string beans, artichokes, yellow squash, zucchini, peas
- leaves: spinach (raw), all lettuces, Swiss chard, dandelions, parsley, cilantro (raw)
Foods from GROUP IIa can be eaten alone, especially when not very hungry.
GROUP IIb: The Best Process Perpetuators (These are complex carbohydrates but compared to GROUP IIa, they release sugar more rapidly)
- Baked potatoes
- Whole grain bread
- Brown rice
- Sweet potatoes
- Buckwheat (kasha)
- Bulgar (cracked wheat)
- Oatmeal – oats or steel cut
- Barley (unpeeled)
- Corn (fresh, only on the cob)
- Banana (ripe)
- Squashes: hubbard, acorn, spaghetti, butternut, pumpkin (fresh, only)
Group IIb General Rules:
- Eat limited amounts, best combined with group IIa and small quantities from group IV.
- Eat no more than one cup at a time
- Cancer patients – eat ½ cup at a time
GROUP III: The Best Natural Sweeteners
- Honey: local raw& unfiltered, has enzymes that help digestion of starches & Protein.
- Maple syrup: grade B (don’t use in cancer)
- Molasses: unfiltered (don’t use in cancer)
- Dates: dried or fresh (have high fiber and minerals)
- Figs: fresh or dried and unsulfured (high fiber and minerals)
- Raisins: (not for cancer)
- Prunes: (not for cancer)
- Brown Rice: syrup (low in sugar & high in minerals)
- Agave nectar: (from cactus, low sugar & high in minerals)NOTE: Never use artificial sweeteners, they are the most acidic residue foods!
- Note: Use Stevia as the only diet sweetener.
GROUP IV – The Best Lubricators (Fats & Oils)
Notes: Fats & Oils are necessary in the diet because they are the most important component in the cell wall.
- They help to hold the proper charge in the phospholipid bi-layer.
- Artificial fats cannot hold a proper charge.
- This is a problem because the cell must let the right nutrients into the cell and allow the waste products to leave the cell.
- A faulty cell wall causes leaky cells and thus promotes disease.
- Total blood cholesterol must be at least 160.
- Lower cholesterol can be dangerous because it adversely affects production of some important hormones.
- Cholesterol is the first step in the production of sex hormones.
- grapeseed: takes high heat but has higher omega-6 than olive oil. Use it for stir-fry.
- olive oil: use extra virgin first cold press, it’s less acidic. Best eaten raw.
- coconut (mostly for baking); use it as energy not fat
- flaxseed: lowers inflammation; the only balanced 3:6:9
- butter: organic only, not for cooking
- ghee: is clarified butter. Can be made by heating butter and removing the solids.
- Eat the largest amount of food from IIa GROUP.
- Eat equal portions from I & IIb GROUP.
- Eat sparingly of GROUP III.
- Eat balanced amounts of GROUP IV.
- It may be necessary to puree all foods; use a blender and water.
- Drink ionized water and use ionized water for cooking and making drinks.
Now serving zipcodes but not limited to 76051, 75063, 75038, 75062, 75019, 75067, 76155, 76092, 76034, 76021, 76039, 75022, 75028.